Name Of Site: Xmarks
Type Of Site: Bookmarking
Category: Content Synchronization
Developed By: Marvasol, Inc.
Released On: 2006
Platform: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Safari
Type Of License: Free
Note: As per the announcement of the LastPass, who owned Xmarks, the service would be no longer available from may 1, 2018. It is going to be shut down, so here we have some best Xmarks alternatives “similar bookmarking sites” which you can use in absence of Xmarks.
Xmarks is an extension (add-on) for the web browsers, support Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari. It is a bookmarking browser extension which helps you in content Synchronization. In simple term, you like any webpage, video or something else so you can save the URL to Xmarks. You can make your bookmark public or private, it will be your choice.
The addon is developed by Foxmarks, which was situated in San Francisco, later they changed the company name from Foxmarks to Xmarks. And It was founded in 2006 then later after 4 years in 2010 LastPass purchased it.
How It Works
It works similar to other bookmarking synchronizers. Make an account and start sync your content.
- Visit your web browser addon section
- Search for the Xmarks
- Add to browser
- Make your account with a simple sign up
- Now whenever you need to add any URL, just click on the Xmarks toolbar icon
- Click on myxmarks
- From the menu click on new
- Then tap add new bookmark
- Fill all info along URL
- Click save to done
How to Delete Anything
- Select anything which you want to delete, to select just click on the item.
- Then from the menu click delete.
Even you can search bookmark, tap on search from the menu and type the term to search.
Import Bookmark from Delicious
Yes if you are on Delicious and have lots of bookmarks there so you can easily import. But you have to buy this addon (tool), it is not free.
- From the menu click on the tool
- Click on import from delicious
- Easily import items
Alternatives To Xmarks
Best to stumble new and popular content over the web with lots of other features. It works like a search engine to find popular content in your selected interest. StumbleUpon was founded by Garrett Camp & Geoff Smith in 2001.
- Easy to use
- Large no users
- Great response
- No moderation
Reddit is the most American social new and social bookmarking site founded by Steve Huffman – Alexis Ohanian on June 23, 2005.
- Strict publishing policies
- Powerful bots (moderators)
- Large no of active users
- Many other features too like subreddit etc
A simple and most powerful platform for the bookmarking, Scoopit is a San Francisco based content marketing software company which was founded in 2007 by Guillaume Decugis and Marc Rougier. As an Xmarks alternative, it is best.
- User-friendly dashboard
- Active members
- Can find viral and most liked content
- Some extra feature with paid version
Plurk, have a unique design with powerful results but it is not a content synchronizer instead, it is social networking as well as a microblogging platform. It just allows you to share a short 360 character of massage or link.
- Can share short messages
- Have unique design
- Many SEO benefits
Dzone is for the developers and programmer, is one among the largest publisher to find knowledge resources. It is leading community of web programmers and developers who daily come to Dzone to share and find useful resources.
- For programmers and developers
- Can find quality resources
- No spam
- Strick publishing policies
It is a bookmarking website or a bookmarking service. Instapaper was founded in 2008 and owned by the popular image sharing platform “Pinterest”.
- Great look
- Easily save things for later
- Support Kindle, Android, iPhone, iPad, or web version
- Can create notes
Flipboard, it was founded in 2010 and developed by Mike McCue and Evan Doll. It is a social network aggregation and a news aggregator platform. Actually, it syncs content from anywhere like social media, web page, feed etc.
- Make a list of your interest
- Completly personalized
- Can get great content over the web
- Well organized in between categories
It is one of the oldest bookmaking sites which still have value and results. You can privately or publicly save links in few clicks. From the homepage of the site can easily get all of the trending content on the internet.
- Can share URL, videos, and news
- Many filter options to find content
- Save links for later
- Completely free to use
Diigo, it allows signed up users to add bookmarks. it is a bookmarking site and Social Annotations platform. It was started on 4 July 2006. Diigo is a freemium service, you can use it for free but to get complete access to its features you have to buy the paid version.
- Freemium service
- 9 million + users
- Easily save and tag resources
- Annotate webpage without any hassle
- A well-organized dashboard
Again a good bookmark site like Xmarks for store your favorite URLs at one place publicly or privately. Not just links sharing, it allows you to do many other things too.
- Easy to use
- Completely free
- Bookmark anything with a single click